West Newton

Share & Bookmark, Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
Print

West Newton Square

Until the early 1800s, the village of West Newton consisted of only a cluster of buildings along Washington Street and a few outlying farms. In 1720, only three houses were within a mile of West Newton Square. Agriculture was the chief occupation in the area and large sections of the village remained forested, with a region of swamps and marsh land along the plains that extended to the Charles River and the Town of Waltham. Nevertheless, this tiny settlement played an important role in the early history of Newton.

West Newton became a religious center for Newton’s northwestern section in 1764 when a second church, known as West Parish (Congregational), was built here. During disputes over the boundaries of the new parish, a line was drawn through a sizeable squash field, and West Newton’s detractors from Newton Centre dubbed the village “Squash End.” This rivalry continued into the 19th century. In 1848, though, West Newton succeeded in having the Town Hall relocated here from Newton Centre, where it remained until the early 1930s. 

The village’s growth was tied closely to its favorable location for transportation. Present day Washington Street, then called the Natick Road, connected Boston with Natick and the state’s western communities and West Newton quickly became a popular way station. After 1834, it also became a station stop for the Boston & Worcester Railroad. The train, with its daily scheduled trips to Boston, soon brought suburban commuters to West Newton. Although its full impact would not be felt until after the Civil War, by 1850, a relatively large number of new, year-round homes were under construction. While long time residents remained near the village center, wealthy Boston commuters preferred West Newton Hill. At the same time, an influx of Irish immigrants and local workmen were building small cottages along the flats towards River Street, Auburndale Avenue, and to the north near the Waltham border. 

West Newton had little industry and supported only a small business center for local services, shopping, and highway traffic. Its attraction for city dwellers was the rural ambience, small town sociability, cheap land, and its close proximity to downtown Boston. With the new population and greater prosperity, churches were established, and several small wood-frame buildings in the center of the district were replaced with handsome business blocks. The village also became well known for its superior private schools, particularly the West Newton English and Classical School, founded by Nathaniel T. Allen. 

The typical suburban dwelling in West Newton was wooden and occupied a generous lot planted with ornamental trees and gardens. The first commuters to settle here built simple, rectangular houses in the Greek Revival and Italianate fashion, architectural styles that usually avoided ostentatious display. Long front porches and projecting bay windows, however, were characteristic of these new suburban residences. 

Exaggerated roof forms, towers, and turrets, as well as all manner of intricate wooden trim, became an accepted part of house design in the village after the Civil War. Even the more modest homes of the Second Empire and Queen Anne styles displayed some element of this fashion for decorative detail.

For more information on West Newton history, read information that accompanies the West Newton history sign in West Newton Square.