To all Newton Tobacco Businesses:
As you may have already heard, the Newton Board of Aldermen recently passed a comprehensive revision to Chapter 20, the tobacco related ordinances. There are significant changes that go into effect on July 6, 2014.
We encourage you to:
• Familiarize yourself with the changes
• Begin following them now in your store
• Attend trainings scheduled in August (details below)
The changes will be enforced beginning September 22, 2014, when the permits are due for renewal. You are encouraged to begin following them now so you are ready in September. Below is a brief summary of the significant changes, however, you should review the enclosed ordinance carefully for more specific information. The changes are highlighted in blue, but your business is responsible for following all parts of the ordinance, new and old. The enclosed copy is the adopted draft version; the official version without the blue will be available later.
The new ordinances:
• Increase the minimum age to purchase tobacco and e-cigarettes to 21 years old
• Prohibit the use of e-cigarettes in Newton places where use of tobacco products is prohibited, like restaurants and other workplaces
• Restrict the sale of flavored tobacco products other than regular or menthol to only retail tobacco or nicotine delivery product stores (an example would be an adult-only smoking bar)
• Require signage at tobacco and e-cigarette stores with information about quitting smoking
• Prohibit blunt wrappers and non-residential roll-your-own cigarette machines
• Require cigars (mini-cigars, cigarillos, etc.) to individually cost at least $2.50, or be sold in a package of at least two cigars for at least $5
A few additional things to keep in mind:
• The ordinance will be strictly enforced in full on Sept. 22, 2014.
• There is no “grandfathering” of products in stock. None of the newly prohibited products (flavored items, blunt wrappers, etc.) will be allowed on premises beginning Sept. 22.
• Additional signage as required by the new ordinance will be provided to you at no cost, as is other signage we already require
• We will send information about how to renew your new permit in August. Renewals will be due Sept. 17, 2014 and will expire on June 30, 2015. The fee remains the same -- $100.
• We will host free information sessions about the new ordinance and how to renew your permit. You are strongly encouraged to attend so you understand all of the changes. All store personnel – clerks, managers, owners, etc. are more than welcome to attend. No need to sign up, just show up. If you cannot attend these dates, but are interested, contact us. The training dates are:
Wednesday, August 13, 10 to 11 a.m.
Tuesday, August 26, 2 to 3 p.m.
Location for both training sessions:
Room 222, Newton City Hall, 1000 Commonwealth Ave., Newton
The renewal application, checklist and letter to vendors is available here.
If you have any questions, please contact Teresa Kett at (617) 796-1420 or firstname.lastname@example.org