The holiday of Kwanzaa began in 1966 as a response to rioting in the Watts neighborhood of Los Angeles, and synthesizes African and American traditions. Historic Newton's December 3 lecture follows the holiday's development for the past 50 years.
Historic Newton presents a memorable evening with iconic musicians Geoff Muldaur, John Sebastian, and Jim Kweskin
Visit the Jackson Homestead and Museum and the Durant-Kenrick House and Grounds for free on September 23 as part of Smithsionian magazine's Museum Day Live!
In the exhibit Freed from the Frame: Beyond the Childhood Portrait, Historic Newton displays six portraits from our collection and also follows the lives of the children into adulthood. Research into each child’s life paints a more complete portrait than what you see inside the frame. The exhibit is now on display at the Jackson Homestead and Museum.
Historic Newton recently elected five new members to its Board of Directors. All have strong leadership skills and ties to the community.
The Jackson Homestead and Durant-Kenrick House are among 2,000 museums nationwide to participate in the Blue Star Museums program
Historic Newton's 35th annual Newton House Tour features examples of outstanding historic preservation as well as creative modern interpretations. The variety celebrates Newton’s rich architectural heritage.
Smithsonian magazine's Museum Day Live! offers a downloadable ticket for free admission 9/24 to the Jackson Homestead and the Durant-Kenrick House.
Do you know of an interesting renovation or restoration, or a well-maintained historic property or landscape in Newton? Historic Newton is now accepting nominations for the 2016 Newton Preservation Awards. The awards are a collaboration between Historic Newton and the Newton Historical Commission
The themes of "The Meaning of the Fourth of July for the Negro" are still relevant in an era of Black Lives Matter and other activism against racism.
Shop at either of the Newton locations of Whole Foods March 1 and each store will generously donate 5% of net sales for the day to Historic Newton.
Turning Again to the Well:
Poems of the Energy Necklace Project,
Jackson Homestead, 2014
Sculpture Exhibition, Newton MA Energy Necklace at Jackson Homestead, Newton, April 3-July 18, 2014
And companion Poetry Walk, June 1
Sculpture curated by Susan Israel -- Artists: Gail Jerauld Bos Mary Dewart Linda Hoffman Susan Israel Milan Klic Peter Kronberg Peter Lipsitt John Powell Margot Stage Gabrielle White Jeanne Williamson
Poetry curated by Susan Edwards Richmond -- Poets: Zachary Bos Polly Brown Cheryl Perrault Linda Fialkoff Lynn Horsky Neil Horsky Terry House Lila Linda Terry Joanne Reynolds Susan Edwards Richmond bg Thurston
This March while we wait for the ground to thaw, come get hands-on experience and add to your plant skills. The workshops cost $25 per adult ($20 students, seniors, members), which covers museum admission and materials. Pre-paid registration is required. Call 617-641-9142 to register. All workshops will be held at the Durant-Kenrick House and Grounds, 286 Waverley Avenue.
Many of the papers are new reproductions such as the one pictured here from Waterhouse Wallhangings. Waterhouse says, “Originally printed by woodblock on rectangular and joined sheets of paper, this flowing Arabesque pattern is accredited to Jean Pillement, circa 1760.” This paper will surround the historic furniture vignette in our 1700’s parlor. The furniture set includes a beautiful mahogany tall-case clock made by Benjamin Willard in Lexington around 1769.
For our 1930’s Parlor we have found nearly antique wallpaper circa 1920 from Hannah’s Treasures. In this room will be a very special pair of chairs from Mr. Arthur Dewing’s grandparents. The chairs were a gift to his grandparents at their marriage in 1841 from the father of the bride.
As the carpenters are finishing up the interior of the Durant-Kenrick house, we recently went around to survey and photograph some of the framing details before they got covered up with the final layers of plaster, wood and paint. We discovered an interesting bit of the history of the house- evidence of a small chimney fire! Charred beams were exposed when the plaster and lathe were removed for the running of electrical wires. Sometime in the past the family must have had a bit of a fright when the flames appeared, but the fire must have been contained pretty quickly as the charring does not extend more than a few feet along the beam.
This is along the edge where the ceiling meets the wall above the fireplace in what will be called the “Kenrick Parlor.” When this room is finished it will have an engaging exhibit about the Kenrick nursery and 19th century Horticulture, and gorgeous Neo-classical furniture from the Dewing Collection.
Note the marks of the hewing axe in the lower right corner of the picture. This beam of wood was shaped by hand when the house was first built.