Newton’s Capital Improvement Plan provides funding for transportation projects that address infrastructure needs, reflect community values, support City operations, programs and services and exemplifies financial and environmental best practices. The following major projects are currently underway, either in design or construction.
- Dedham-Nahanton Streets
- Traffic Signalization project to upgrade traffic signal equipment, improve intersection alignment geometry, improve multimodal safety and operations and implement signal coordiation
- Needham Street - MassDOT led and funded project to pave and improve Needham Street. Project upgrades to traffic signal equipment, improves roadway alignment geometry, improves multimodal safety with projected bike lanes and crossings, and implements signal coordination
- Newton Corner - Traffic signal and sidewalk project to install accessible pedestrian signals at 10+ traffic signal locations, install ADA compliant ramps, upgrade sidewalk and improve landscaping
- Newton Highlands Greenline Station - MBTA led and funded project to enhance accessibility to the existing Newton Highlands T station on the Green Line D Branch.
- Walnut Street - Village enhancement project to improve safety and pedestrian accommodations, upgrade traffic signal equipment, enhance streetscape, and improve multimodal safety and operations
- Washington Street Corridor - Conceptual design to improve safety and pedestrian accommodations, improve traffic flow, and ADA compliance
- Washington Street (Hunnewell Hill) - Short-term traffic calming project, using thermoplastic pavement markings, to reduce speeds, increase safety and add bicycle lanes.
- West Newton - Village enhancement project to upgrade traffic signal equipment, improve multimodal safety and operations, enhance streetscape, and implement signal coordination