Do you own a business in Newton?
The City of Newton is very proud of the businesses throughout our villages and corridors. If you have questions or need assistance, or if you are interested in getting more involved in activities in your village or partnering with the City and local non-profits on events and activities, please reach out to Nancy Hyde, Economic Development Director, at 617-796-1122 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to working with you!
Looking to start a business in Newton?
Before you start your business, pay us a visit or give us a call. City staff can help you determine what steps to take before opening your doors. Some businesses require no more than a simple license, while others may need approvals to assure that a proposed use is allowed on a site. To avoid an unwelcome discovery that your business or operations do not conform to applicable standards and laws, please stop by City Hall or give us a call so staff can advise you.
- Call the Planning & Development Department at 617-796-1120
- Call the Inspectional Services Department at 617-796-1060
- Read our brochure: So you want to start a business
- Learn more about how to properly register your Home-Based Business
- If you need general assistance in getting started, have questions about available loans, grants, and resources, or seek advice on working on projects with fellow business owners in your village or corridor, come to the Newton Small Business Center in the Lower Level of City Hall.
Looking for a commercial real estate property in Newton?
Please visit our Commercial Real Estate Connection
Looking to locate your company in Newton?
Contact Nancy Hyde, Economic Development Director, at 617-796-1122 or email@example.com to learn more about the geographic and demographic advantages of Newton and to discuss your plans.
- Check out our presentation Doing Business in Newton.
- Womens Enterprise Initiative An outreach program of the City of Newton Planning and Development Department, WEI hosts a forum three times each year at which a woman entrepreneur presents her business plan for critique by an expert panel. The audience is invited to give feedback and ask questions, and the forum aims to serve as an educational and networking event for all who attend.
Resources for Businesses in Newton
- Massachusetts Small Business Development Center Based at the University of Massachusetts-Boston, the MSBDC offers free workshops and free business advisory services.
- Newton-Needham Regional Chamber A non-profit comprised of over 700 member businesses that provides advocacy, networking opportunities, monthly "After Hours" events, the annual Spring Seasonings event, and groups focused on small business, women, young professionals, green business, and other areas of interest. Newton's elected officials and staff often partner with the Chamber.
- Newton Cultural Alliance A non-profit consortium of Newton-based arts and cultural organizations dedicated to building public awareness of the arts, developing cultural facilities, and seeking economic development through cultural tourism and business partnerships. Commonwealth of Massachusetts Resources
State and Regional Resources
- SBA Economic Injury Disaster Loans - Low-interest economic disaster recovery loans are available through the U.S. Small Business Administration to Massachusetts small businesses and private non-profit organizations affected by the Boston Marathon bombings on April 15, 2013. By submitting an SBA Distaster Loan application, you may be eligible for loans to offset economic losses from this difficult time. For more information, please see: http://www.sba.gov/about-offices-content/2/3162/news/597001
- Tax Information for Businesses on the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) website