Welcome to Newton!
Newton prides itself on being a business-friendly City. We are actively working to ensure that all of our village centers and commercial corridors are sustainable, vibrant places by supporting small business owners, revitalizing our cherished village centers, expanding the City's commercial tax base, and working proactively with developers who want to locate mixed-use development in Newton. Newton is both a desirable residential community and a top-notch business location. We encourage you to visit the many fine shops, restaurants, and services that are located right here in the Garden City!
To encourage economic development, the Newton Department of Planning & Development has hired Kathyrn Ellis as the new Economic Development Director. She brings a wealth of experience to the job and is eager to work with existing businesses as well as network to attract new businesses. Newton participates in a regional innovation district and is actively seeking biotechnology, life science and businesses in the innovation sector to locate here.
The Economic Development Director is also aided by the Economic Development Commission (EDC), an appointed body of talented volunteers with business experience. The EDC advises on policy, goals, and objectives for economic development and serves as an additional liaison with the business community.
What we do:-
- The Economic Development division is responsible for attracting new companies to locate in Newton
- We serve as a resource to support and assist local Newton businesses to thrive in the city.
- We help identify suitable commercial space including retail, office, or industrial.
- We help with recruitment of a local highly skilled workforce.
- We provide assistance with licensing and permitting and serve as the coordinating point of contact for any other government function in the City for economic development.
- We help identify local City projects and provide partnering opportunities for companies to sell their services within the City.
- We offer assistance with local loans and possible available economic incentives.
- We partner with the Newton-Needham Chamber of Commerce on local events and marketing opportunities as well as the promotion of the N2 Innovation District.
We work in collaboration with MassChallenge and the Cambridge Innovation Center to run the Newton Innovation Center (NIC), a center based in a municipal building for start-up companies.
We encourage you to contact Kathryn Ellis at email@example.com for any questions or concerns. We also urge you to visit the many fine shops, restaurants, and services that are located right here in the Garden City.
1000 Commonwealth Avenue
Newton, MA 02459
Economic Development Director