Inspectional Services Department
John Lojek, Commissioner
James Freas, Deputy Director
In 2016 - 2017 City Council passed a new Accessory Apartment ordinance. Below you will find information about the new current ordinance.
Watch the June 28, 2017 special on New TV about the zoning changes for Accessory Apartments:
Where can I read the new Accessory Apartments ordinance?
April 3, 2017 Accessory Apartments Ordinance
Read Mayor Warren's press release
April 6, 2017 Newton Passes Accessory Apartment Ordinance
How do I apply to create an Accessory Apartment?
Follow the steps on the new Accessory Apartment brochure
Accessory Apartment Pre-Application
Do I qualify for zero-interest financing to make my Accessory Apartment comply with code?
Read this flier on the Housing Rehabilitation Program and go to their website to find out more. Contact Malcolm Lucas, Housing Planner, to start an application: 617-796-1149 or email@example.com.
Why did the ordinance change in April 2017 and what was involved in the decision making?
Read some of the research and reports that were part of the process resulting in the City Council's 22-2 vote to change the Accessory Apartment ordinance below.
- Planning Memo, October 21, 2016 Memo #343-16
- Zoning and Planning Committee Report, October 24, 2016 Meeting Report
- Zoning and Planning Committee Report, November 14, 2016 *Public Hearing Meeting Report
- Newton Tab Op Ed by Mayor Warren, Councilor Albright, Councilor Ciccone, Councilor Crossley, Councilor Hess-Mahan, and Councilor Norton, December 2, 2016.
- Planning Memo, December 9, 2016 Memo #343-16
- Inspectional Services Memo, December 9, 2016 Memo #343-16 Enforcement
- Zoning and Planning Committee Report, December 12, 2016 Meeting Report
- Planning Memo, January 20, 2017 Memo #343-16
- Newton Council on Aging Statement of Support for Accessory Apartment proposed ordinance, January 26, 2017
- FAQ's & Answers February, 2017
- Boston Globe (article about Newton/Lexington, MA)
What are other communities doing about accessory apartments?
At the request of members of the Zoning and Planning Committee, Planning staff have conducted extensive research about accessory apartments in other communities. Information and analysis can be found in the December 9, 2016 Memo from Planning staff. Here are links to some reports and articles:
- Barnstable, MA link
- US Dept. of Housing and Urban Dvlt. (HUD) link
- State of California link
- Santa Cruz, CA link
- Durango, CO link and link and link
- Comparison of Portland, Seattle and Vancouver link
- Portland, OR link