|Newton Parks and Recreation offers a way for you to commemorate deceased loved ones through donations. You may also make a donation to agencies that support the mission of the Parks and Recreation Department.
- Bench with Plaque
- Memorial Trees
If you would like to make a donation to the Parks and Recreation Department for the purpose of planting a tree or installing a bench with a plaque in memory of a deceased individual, the following information is offered:
|BENCH WITH PLAQUE - If a plaque is desired, a bench must be purchased from the Department under the following guidelines:
- The bench is a standard commercial design selected by the Parks and Recreation Department
- Bench is designed to accommodate a 4” X 6” size plaque ONLY. The plaque that goes on the bench must be made of a thick bronze casting with anchor studs. Individuals making the request are responsible for all costs and ordering of the plaque (cost varies depending the amount and type of characters used)
- The Parks and Recreation Department is responsible for securing the bench to a solid foundation and installing the plaque
- The Newton Parks and Recreation Department is a City of Newton Agency, working with public and private partners to supplement and support the City of Newton’s parks, trails and recreation opportunities; particularly those that help children, at-risk youth, seniors and the disabled.
- Your tax-deductible donations are greatly appreciated to improve the quality of life of Newton residents.
- Donation checks can be makde payable to the City of Newton and sent to the office of the Commissioner of Parks and Recreation 124 Vernon Street Newton, MA 02458
|MEMORIAL TREES - Planting memorial trees and/or installing benches with a plaque in a City park.
- A written request must be made to the Parks and Recreation Department from the bereaved indicating desirable location and preference of memorial (tree or bench)
- The Administrator/Superintendent of the designated Maintenance Division reviews the request and acknowledges that the requested location will not be impacted by future development and is suitable for a tree or bench
- The appropriate Maintenance Division Head will contact you with the costs and how you may submit your payment to the City. He purchases the tree with the funds you provide, plants the tree and provides a water source
- The variety of the tree and location of planting will be at the discretion of the Forestry Superintendent
- Tree markers and/or pedestals must be of a preapproved type.
|The Recreation Department is responsible for responding to the request in writing acknowledging receipt of payment and completion of work with a copy to the Commissioner's Office. Requestor will receive a picture of the tree and/or bench, and a locator map for acknowledgment and reference.
Please call the Parks and Recreation Office for additional information.
Parks and Recreation 617-796-1500 - Carol Schein