Off Leash Recreation Program
The Off-Leash Recreation Program has been designed to meet the needs of the City’s dog owners who want off-leash time while sharing park space with other park users. Sharing our parks helps us maximize the use and enjoyment we all receive from our open spaces.
Dogs – On a leash – are allowed anywhere in any of our parks, except for inside tot lots and Little League fields. All dog owners are required to pick up their pet’s waste and dispose of it properly in the blue trash barrels.
Like the Newton Off-Leash Recreation Area Facebook page for info, updates and announcements
Braceland Playground, Cabot Park, Claflin Playground, Hunnewell Park, McGrath Park, Newton Center Playground, Old Cold Spring Park
Before you go to the Park
- License your dog and make sure vaccinations are current. Put license and identification on dog’s collar.
- Resident/Non-resident off-leash medallion must be worn by the dog.
- Professional Dog Walker medallion must be worn by the person responsible for the off-leash dogs . ID must be available upon request.
- Make sure your dog is under voice control (dog responds to and obeys your verbal commands).
- Find a park near you with off-leash hours.
- Bring along your dog’s leash and bags for waste.
At the park:
- Keep your dog on-leash until you are in the designated off-leash area.
- Keep your leash on hand at all times.
- Check for “Park Closed” signs, wet fields, crews working in the park, or permitted activities, all of which mean off-leash hours are suspended.
- Pick up after your dog and encourage others to do the same.
- Keep your dog in sight and under voice control at all times.
- Be mindful of your dog. Many people do not like unfamiliar dogs approaching them, and only you know whether your dog is friendly to other people or dogs.
- Enjoy some off-leash fun with your dog!