Newton Centre Playground

Newton Centre Playground (established 1890, formerly Brewer Playground)
  • 81 Tyler Terrace, contiguous to Mason Rice School, Newton Centre, 17.9 acres
  • Large multi-use City park/playground located just outside of the village center
  • City’s first playground, originally designed by Olmsted Bros. firm in 1890
  • Includes Hammond Brook, Cochituate and Sudbury Aqueducts
  • Rehabilitation and Accessibility Plan, completed 2006
  • Home of the City’s only toboggan run (now defunct) and the July 4th Teddy Bear Parade
  • Jeannete West Recreation Center (“The Hut”): gym, activity rooms, restrooms
  • New, large universal school-age play area with swings, fenced pre-school play area with swings
  • City’s only clay tennis courts (5), with practice backboard
  • Regulation baseball field, junior baseball field (Jay Gordon Field, Home of Newton East Little League), elementary soccer fields (2), and full basketball court (lights)
  • On-street parking, accessible route from Mason-Rice School parking lot
  • Off-leash recreation area

Newton Centre Playground Master Plan

Community Preservation Project