Water Safety Instructor Course
American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor course provides instructor candidates the training needed to teach courses in the American Red Cross Swimming and Water Safety Program by developing their understanding of:
- how to use the course materials,
- how to conduct training sessions and
- how to evaluate participants' progress.
- how to plan lessons.
- how to consistently deliver course content.
New concepts and features of the Water Safety Instructor course include:
Minimum age prerequisite of 16 years of age to enter the course. Shortened course time of approximately 30 hours (including pre-course session) not including F.I.T. pre-requisite.
Clearly described and applied teaching strategies, including:
- Task setting
- Station teaching
- Guided discovery
- New video segments that bring to life the realities of what to expect from their students throughout the levels for the brand new instructor.
- Various video segments show typical examples of basic skills and common progressions including breath control, swimming on the front and swimming on the back.
- Video segments also show some typical performance of the strokes as they progress through the levels.
- Supported by video, the instructor candidates work to develop their ability to observe and assess.
- Learning activities, games and drills are built in throughout the course; This helps instructor candidates improve their strokes and understand how to integrate activities, games and drills effectively into their teaching.
- Multiple opportunities for instructor candidates to practice their teaching skills through formal practice teaching assignments as well as leading mini-lessons.
Course is Held Sundays at Newton North High School. The morning session will be teaching actual children in the learn to swim program and the afternoon sessions will be filled with classroom, video and teach back where participants are teaching each other while the rest of the class ir role playing.
Time: 10AM until 6PM
Cost: $200.00 Residents and $220.00 for Non Residents.
Register on-line beginning January 2013