Lifeguard Training Course
The Newton Parks and Recreation Department offers Lifeguard Training Classes during the year. The lifeguard training course of instruction will be held beginning in March on Wednesday and Thursday nights at the conclusion of the Newton Swim Team Season.
- Minumum age is 15 years old by end of class registered for. Attendance and participation in all classes is mandatory. Lifeguard Training Course - Pre-Requisite Skills are as follows:
- 300 yd continuous swim consisting of the following strokes and style
- 200 yards of crawl stroke with face in the water swimming comfortably using rotary breathing,
- 100 yards of breaststroke with face in the water
- Timed swim and tow of 10 lb brick, returning to start using legs only, hands on the brick
- Tread water for 2 minutes using legs only
- Retrieve 10 lb. brick from 9 feet of water.
- Session will be held Tuesday and Wednesday nights from 6:30 PM - 9:30 PM
- March 26, 2013 to Wednesday (Pre-test only) First Class is March 27, 2012 through - May 8, 2013
No classes during April School Vacation Week
- Register on-line here (MC or Visa only)