Level 6C Personal Water Safety
- To refine strokes so participants swim them with more ease, efficiency, power and smoothness over greater distances.
- To teach students how to prevent aquatic emergencies in open water environments
- To introduce and practice self-rescue techniques
- Valid American Red Cross Learn-to-Swim Level 5: Stroke Refinement certificate OR successful demonstration of all certification requirements from Level 5.
Demonstrate competency in all requires skills and activities including in-water skills. Successfully complete the following exit skills assessment:
- Swim 500 yards continuously using any 3 strokes of your choice, swimming at least 50 yards of each stroke..
- Jump into deep water, perform a survival float for 5 minutes, roll onto back and demonstrate a back float for 5 minutes.
- Swim 20 yards, perform a feetfirst surface dive, retrieve an object from the bottom of the pool at a depth of 7-10 feet, return to the surface and swim 20 yards back to the starting point.
Key Elements of Level 6 Program
- Increase endurance while performing the following strokes:
- Front crawl–100 yards
- Back crawl–100 yards
- Butterfly–50 yards
- Elementary backstroke 50 yards
- Breaststroke–50 yards
- Sidestroke–50 yards
- Demonstrate the following turns while swimming:
- Front crawl open turn
- Backstroke open turn
- Sidestroke open turn
- Front flip turn
- Backstroke flip
- Butterfly Turn
- Breaststroke Turn
- Tread water, kicking only, in deep water (2 minutes)
- Demonstrate a feet-first surface dive and retrieve and object from a depth of 7 feet
- Demonstrate the HELP position (2 minutes)
- Demonstrate the huddle position (2 minutes)
- Demonstrate a survival float in deep water (5 minutes)
- Demonstrate a back float in deep water (5 minutes)
- Demonstrate survival swimming (10 minutes)
- Swim while clothed, using any type of stroke if time permits
- Demonstrate self-rescue techniques while clothed if time permits
- Discuss basic safety rules for open water environment and boating
Register on-line here
| || |