Level 6A Introduction to Diving
To refine strokes so participants swim them with more ease, efficiency, power and smoothness and over greater distances.
To introduce and practice fundamental springboard diving skills
Valid American Red Cross Learn-to-Swim Level 5: Stroke Refinement certificate OR successful demonstration of all certification requirements from Level 5.
Demonstrate competency in all requires skills and activities including in-water skills.
Successfully complete the following exit skills assessment:
- Swim 500 yards continuously using any 3 strokes of your choice, swimming at least 50 yards of each stroke.
- Perform a two-part takeoff with a feetfirst entry from a 1-meter diving board.
- Perform a two-part takeoff with a headfirst entry from a 1-meter diving board.
Key Elements of Diving Fundamentals
- Increase endurance while performing the following strokes:
- Front crawl–100 yards
- Back crawl–100 yards
- Butterfly–50 yards
- Elementary backstroke 50 yards
- Breaststroke–50 yards
- Sidestroke–50 yards
- Demonstrate the following turns while swimming:
- Front crawl open turn
- Backstroke open turn
- Sidestroke open turn
- Front flip turn
- Backstroke flip turn
- Butterfly Turn
- Breaststroke Turn
- Discuss and demonstrate the following skills for diving:
- Basic Stretching exercises
- Body alignment and control
- Surface dive
- Diving from Poolside
- Diving from Diving Board
- Takeoff from Deck
- Takeoff from Poolside
- Takeoff from Diving Board
- Tuck Position
- Forward Jump, Tuck Position
- Forward Dive, Tuck Position
- Pike Position
- Forward Jump, Pike Position
- Forward Dive, Pike Position
- Discuss rules of safe diving
- Learn to look carefully before entering the water
Register on-line here