Level 3 Stroke Development
To build on the skills in Level 2 by providing additional guided practice.
Valid American Red Cross Learn-to-Swim Level 2: Fundamental Aquatic Skills certificate OR successful demonstration of all certification requirements from Level 2.
Demonstrate competency in all requires skills and activities including in-water skills.
Successfully complete the following exit skills assessment:
- Jump into deep water from the side, swim front crawl for 15 yards, maintain position by treading or floating for 30 seconds and swim elementary backstroke for 15 yards.
Learning Objectives of Level 3
- Enter water by jumping from the side
- Headfirst entries from the side in sitting and kneeling positions
- Bobbing while moving toward safety
- Rotary breathing
- Survival float
- Back float
- Change from vertical to horizontal position on front and back
- Tread water
- Flutter, scissor, dolphin and breaststroke kicks on front
- Front crawl and elementary backstroke
- Learn to look carefully before entering the water
- Learn to perform simple nonswimming assists
- Learn to recognize, prevent and respond to cold water emergencies
Register on-line here