Newton, MA Logo for print

Newton Upper Falls Area Council


Anil Adyanthaya (President)
Mark Bridger
Maxine Bridger (Secretary)
Susan Huffman (Treasurer)
Marie Jackson
Nina Kochs
Jack Neville
David Ohanian
Jeff Riklin (Vice President)


To see the Plans for the new Emerson Playground (PDF), click HERE.

The videos of the ground-breaking for the Greenway Project can viewed by going to "Events" in the Navigation Bar (upper left).


The next meeting of the Area Council will be on Thursday, March 19,
at 7:00 PM at the Emerson Community Center, 45 Pettee St.


A.   Approval of Minutes from January Meeting

B.   Treasurer's Report

C.   Date for Upper Falls Village Day – September 13? (5 minutes)

D.   Upper Falls Greenway (5 minutes)

E.   Solar Newton Presentation Planning – April 8 (5 minutes)

F.    Village Message Board (5-7 minutes)

G.   Newcomb Book Award Publicizing (5 minutes)

H.   General Upper Falls News (5 minutes)

I.      Public Comment/Questions

J.    Adjourn

The location of this meeting is handicap accessible and reasonable accommodations will be provided to persons requiring assistance. If you need a special accommodation, please contact the Newton ADA Coordinator, Joel Reider, at least two days in advance of the meeting at: or 617-796-1145. For Telecommunications Relay Service dial 711.

Annual Report of the Area Council (2014): Please Click HERE

Annual Report of the Area Council (2013): Please Click HERE

Annual Report of the Area Council (2012): Please Click HERE


Mission Statement:

The Newton Upper Falls Neighborhood Area Council is a legal entity of Newton city government. Its purposes are several: to facilitate communication between Newton Upper Falls residents and the City; to address issues of importance to Newton Upper Falls residents; and to support and foster pride in Newton Upper Falls through the sponsorship of various community activities.

Newton Upper Falls Area Council Map

List of Streets

Like us on Facebook: 

Council Business:



(From the IRS  website:)

"Government entities are frequently asked to provide a tax-exempt number or “determination” letter to prove its status as a “tax-exempt” or charitable entity. For example, applications for grants from a private foundation or a charitable organization generally require this information as part of the application process. In addition, donors frequently ask for this information as substantiation that the donor’s contribution is tax deductible, and vendors ask for this to substantiate that the organization is exempt from sales or excise taxes. (Exemption from sales taxes is made under state law rather than Federal law.)
The Internal Revenue Service does not provide a tax-exempt number. A government entity may use its Federal TIN (taxpayer identification number), also referred to as an EIN (Employer Identification Number), for identification purposes. 
Governmental units, such as states and their political subdivisions, are not generally subject to federal income tax. Political subdivisions of a state are entities with one or more of the sovereign powers of the state such as the power to tax. Typically they include counties or municipalities and their agencies or departments. Charitable contributions to governmental units are tax-deductible under section 170(c)(1) of the Internal Revenue Code if made for a public purpose.
. . .
As a special service to government entities, IRS will issue a “governmental information letter” free of charge. This letter describes government entity exemption from Federal income tax and cites applicable Internal Revenue Code sections pertaining to deductible contributions and income exclusion.  Most organizations and individuals will accept the governmental information letter as the substantiation they need."
Click here to view I.R.S. letter


Upcoming Community Events