Effective July 6, 2020
Inspectional Services Department will re-open to the public with limited counter windows open and mechanical window will be closed until further notice. Please plan accordingly and anticipate longer wait times. Please be prepared to practice social distancing and wear face covering.
All projects must complete and return the signed COVID 19 guidance document.
Permit applications will no longer be accepted via email. You can submit applications by the following options below.
Building, Sheet Metal, Fence, and Sign Permit Application Submittal:
- Physical drop box located outside at city hall; gray metal box located at the top of the stairs to the left. Please mark envelope, “ISD”
- In-person submittal at the ISD Counter; Reminder limited windows will be open.
Plumbing/Gas and Electrical Application Submittal:
- Physical drop box located outside at city hall; gray metal box located at the top of the stairs to the left. Please mark envelope, “ISD”. Must include application and check.
2. Mail application and check to: City of Newton-ISD
1000 Commonwealth Ave
Newton, MA 02459
City hall will remain closed on Tuesday Night until further notice.
Request for Zoning Enforcement:
Please check back here for any future updates
| Mailing Address
|| Department Head
Newton City Hall
Room 202, 2nd Floor
1000 Commonwealth Ave
Newton, MA 02459
John Lojek, Commissioner
Please Note: Permits can only be issued 8:00am-4:00pm Monday thru Friday or as staff is available
Monday: 7:00am - 5:00pm
Tuesday: 7:00am- 8:00pm
Wednesday-Friday: 7:00am- 5:00pm
In addition to the daily schedule, all Building Inspectors have office hours: 7:00am - 9:00am. Electrical and Plumbing/Gas Inspectors have office hours: 7:00am - 8:00 am, 3:00pm - 4:00pm.
Plumbing, Gas and Electrical permits can be issued between 8:00am - 4:00pm, as long as staff is available.
The Inspectional Services Department (ISD) is responsible for insuring that buildings are constructed safely and used properly. ISD enforces the provisions of the state building code, city zoning ordinance (Chapter 30 - Zoning Ordinance), and other applicable ordinances. ISD issues permits to allow the construction, reconstruction, alteration, repair, and demolition of buildings and structures, as well as the installation of equipment and the location, use and occupancy of all buildings, structures and land.
Useful Documents and Resources:
Home Energy Rating System Index Report (HERS Rating)
HERS Rating Report 2010-2015
Historic: Request for Demolition Review Application
Historic: Local District Review Application
Planning and Development Resources: Applications, Forms, and Brochures
Online Permit History Look-up
Online Permit History Lookup-Step-by-Step Instructions
Floor Area Ratio Worksheet & Calculator
Newton GIS Browser
Tips and FAQ's
Can I file for a permit online or by email?
- No, at this time we do not have online permitting and we do not accept permits by email. You can bring your completed application into Inspectional Services and a permit will be issued over the counter (as long as the staff person is available). You can mail a completed plumbing, gas, or electrical application to receive your permit.
What are the allowable construction hours?
- Construction activity must comply with the city's noise ordinance. In general, construction noise may be generated only during the hours listed below. Refer to Newton revised ordinances 2012, Sec 20-13 for additional details and restrictions.
- Monday-Friday 7AM - 7PM
- Saturday 8AM - 7PM
- Sundays & Holidays Not permitted except by permit approved by the Mayor
Upcoming Events and Resources
City Clerk-Electronic Posting Board
Land Use Committee - Special Permits
Planning and Development - High Interest Projects
Commission on Disability