|Position Title:||Survey Instrument Technician|
|Contact Name:||Human Resources|
Performs semi-skilled and skilled field work involved in the setup and operation of field optical (laser) measuring devices, computerized data recording device to layout, measure and record "site" dimensions, boundaries, topography, location of buildings, roadways, utilities and other distinguishing landmarks; in developing plot plans, drawings, markers, maps and other documents.
- Assists in the set-up and operation of field optical (laser) measuring devices, traverses, transit, level, computerized data (angles and distances) recording device to layout, measure and record construction projects, site plans, rights-of-ways, highways, water and sewer mains, drainage systems, road (re)construction.
- Sets grades for fills and cuts, locating existing landmarks or objects such as stone walls, utility lines and manholes, poles, trees, curbing, catch basins.
- Finds and sets comer markers, monuments for City property comers and boundaries.
- Rechecks completed construction projects for adherence to layouts or drawings.
- Prepares copies and distributes plot plans, changes to original documents and drafts some plans. Plots street profiles.
- Maintains map files and logs new or changed data.
- Conducts some property deed research.
- Follows and adheres to department, City and other government rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Prepares and/or maintains records of work performed or other data reports as required.
- Maintains established quality and quantity standards. Detects sand reports improper operations(s), faulty equipment, defective materials and unusual conditions to supervisor. Ensures work area(s) and equipment are maintained in a clean, orderly and safe operating condition, that prescribed safety measures are followed, that established City and department policies, procedures, rules and regulations are adhered to.
- Performs other duties as required.
Associates or equivalent from a two-year college or technical school and one to four years related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience. Thorough knowledge of computer applications, civil engineering technology, site map reading, site coordinate determinations and recordings. Ability to operate equipment such as personal computer and technical computer software. Valid Massachusetts Motor Vehicle operator’s license is required.
Individuals interested in this position should submit a completed application, cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org . City of Newton Application Forms can be found at www.newtonma.gov/gov/hr/jobs.
The City of Newton is an Equal Employment/Affirmative Action Employer.
|Job Status:||Full Time, Salary|