Newton's Historic Burying Grounds

 
Historic Newton manages the preservation of the graves and tombs of Newton’s three City-owned historic burying grounds:  

East Parish Burying Ground (1660)An early gravestone showing a skull-and-wings motif.
  • Centre and Cotton Streets, Newton Centre, MA
  • Open to the public. Entrance gate is located at the corner of Centre and Cotton Streets  
  • Please proceed carefully and avoid touching the gravestones. Gravestone rubbings are not permitted 
South Burying Ground (1802)
  • Winchester Street, Newton Highlands, MA
  • Open to the public. Enter via the parking lot at the rear
  • Please proceed carefully and avoid touching the gravestones. Gravestone rubbings are not permitted
West Parish Burying Ground (1781)
  • River and Cherry Streets, West Newton, MA
  • Not open to the public

About Newton's Historic Burying Grounds

Volunteers gather for a Burying Ground cleanup.The burying grounds are important as civic and cultural resources.  Buried here are many of Newton’s earliest European settlers, as well as veterans of the Revolutionary War—families now commemorated in the names of the City’s streets, schools, public buildings, and parks.   

The burying grounds also contain some of the finest examples of early American gravestone art—slate and marble monuments embellished with skulls, cherubs, urns, willows, and other motifs of mourning in an irreplaceable outdoor “gallery.”   

Historic Newton has worked to restore a number of monuments and tombs. Each spring and fall, Historic Newton hosts volunteer cleanup initiatives at the burying grounds.  

Restoring Newton’s Historic Burying Grounds 

Burial Treasure: Newton’s First Cemetery

Graves at East Parish Burying Ground

Graves at West Parish Burying Ground

Graves at South Burying Ground