Historic Burying Grounds

Locations and Resources

Historic Newton manages the preservation of the graves and tombs of Newton’s three City-owned historic burying grounds:

East Parish Burying Ground (1660)
Centre and Cotton Streets, Newton Centre, MA
Open to the public. Please proceed carefully and avoid touching the gravestones. Gravestone rubbings are not permitted.

West Parish Burying Ground (1781)
River and Cherry Streets, West Newton, MA
Not open to the public.

South Burying Ground (1802)
Winchester Street, Newton Highlands, MA
Open to the public. Please proceed carefully and avoid touching the gravestones. Gravestone rubbings are not permitted.

The burying grounds are important as civic and cultural resources. Buried here are many of Newton’s earliest European settlers, as well as veterans of the Revolutionary War—families now commemorated in the names of the City’s streets, schools, public buildings, and parks. 

The burying grounds also contain some of the finest examples of early American gravestone art—slate and marble monuments embellished with skulls, cherubs, urns, willows, and other motifs of mourning in an irreplaceable outdoor “gallery.” 

Historic Newton has worked to restore a number of monuments and tombs. Each spring and fall, Historic Newton hosts volunteer cleanup initiatives at the burying grounds.