The Durant-Kenrick House

The Durant-Kenrick Homestead, built in c. 1734, is one of only a few pre-Revolutionary houses remaining in Newton. The house, at 286 Waverley Avenue, has been maintained in near original condition, furnished with period furniture and other collections, and surrounded by specimen trees that were planted by William Kenrick, one of the first horticulturists in the country. The acquisition of the Durant-Kenrick Homestead by Historic Newton creates an opportunity to preserve existing open space and provide a setting for a museum that interprets 18th-century Newton through public tours, student educational programs, and public programs for families and adults.