Fuel Assistance Program in Newton

Fuel Assistance applications begin November 1, 2019.

Call 617-796-1420 to schedule an appointment.

The ABCD Fuel Assistance Program program provides financial assistance with heating bills and rent where heat is included to low income households.

The Health and Human Services Department is an intake site for the Fuel Assistance program. This is a Federal program administered by Action for Boston Community Development, Inc.

Please note that applicants must bring the following required documentation to their appointment: (CLICK FOR A LIST OF WHAT TO BRING)

  1. Proof of income for everyone in your household who is 18 years or older for the past 30 days. If someone is 18 years or older and is a full-time student, submit a letter from their school or college.
  2. A Social Security number for everyone 18 years or older.
  3. You need to provide identification for the person who is applying. Please submit only one of the following: Proof of TAFDC, SSA/SSI, Veteran’s Benefits, Pension/Annuity, MassHealth card, copy of your Social Security, birth certificate, a pay stub with your Social Security number, a copy of your driver’s license or State issued ID card, a copy of your Food Stamp card, or a copy of your U.S Military card.
  4. Current (most recent) copy of your lease or paid rent receipt or for homeowners, your mortgage statement.
  5. Current (most recent) Primary Heating Bill (oil, gas, electric).

Low-income Home Energy Assistance Program- Click here to learn about income eligibility and benefit levels.

Renters/Heat Included

If your heat is included in your rent, we need a statement from your landlord stating that heat is included in rent, the monthly rent amount, your address, and the name, address, telephone and signature of the landlord.

Renters Who Pay For Their Own Heating Bill

You need to provide proof of home address by providing one of the following: Copy of current lease, or current gas, electric, telephone or cable bill or a recent Mass. Income Tax form, or by having your landlord complete the Renter/Address Verification Form.


Please submit a Mortgage Statement or a note stating why you have no mortgage. If you have tenants: please submit a note from tenants stating the rent amount and bring in your Property Tax, Property Insurance, Sewer bills, and the interest on your mortgage. (These are considered expenses to be deducted).

back to top