Influenza Information & Clinics
Friendly URL: www.newtonma.gov/flu
Flu clinics will be held in the community beginning in October. Check back soon for specific dates and forms.
School Flu Information
The Health & Human Services Department will conduct flu vaccination clinics in the Newton Public Schools during the months of October and November 2014. Students and staff may be vaccinated.
School-Based Flu Clinic Schedule 2014
Forms will be available mid-September and will be posted here. They will also be available in the school health room.
- Influenza (flu) is a contagious respiratory disease that can lead to serious complications, hospitalization, or even death. Anyone can get the flu, and getting a flu vaccine is the single best way to protect yourself and your family. Even healthy people can get very sick from the flu and spread it to friends and loved ones. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends a flu vaccine every year for everyone over the age of 6 months.
- While flu activity usually peaks in January or February, the flu itself is unpredictable. The flu vaccine, however, is safe, effective, and widely available. Most people are protected from the three types of flu in the vaccine within two weeks of vaccination.
- There are many places to get a flu vaccine including your primary health care provider, local pharmacies, or a City of Newton Flu Clinic.
How To Stay Healthy
In addition to getting a flu vaccine follow these stay healthy tips!
- Wash your hands often, learn more about the benefits of frequent handwashing.
- Avoid others who are sick
- Stay home if you are sick
- Cough into your arm bent at the elbow instead of into your hands
What To Do if You Get Sick
Other Flu Resources
School-based Flu Program Resources for Colleagues
- Link to July 24, 2012 Webinar, Vaccinating a Community: A Collaboration of Public Health and School Health http://www.maphn.org/nea2012
- To avoid confusion during flu season, we have removed the sample forms for colleagues. Please contact email@example.com for them to be sent by email.