Use of unvented liquid fired space heaters is prohibited by Massachusetts General Law Chapter 148 Section 5a.
Any type of heating device must be used according to the manufacturer's instructions and adhere to any local ordinances or codes.
Even when used properly, these items still pose a threat to safety.
- Always read and follow the directions in the instruction booklet.
- Install a photo electric smoke detector.
- Use the heater only during waking hours. Don't use it overnight or at any time while sleeping.
- Place the heater away from combustible materials such as curtains, bedding, clothing, papers and other flammable materials.
- Keep the heater out of traveled areas so that pets or humans do not bump it while walking by.
- Clean and maintain the heater per manufacturer's requirements.
- Purchase a unit that has an automatic cut-off switch which will turn the heater off automatically if it is tipped over. Verify if electric heaters have one.
Read the manufacturer's recommendations before using.
- Keep away from water (sinks, showers, bathtubs) to prevent electric shock.
- Do not use an extension cord.
- Do not overload the circuit by plugging in multiple appliances into the same outlet.
- Never leave a space heater unattended or leave children or pets alone in a room with a space heater.