Basic Guide to Smoke Detectors
***Important information for homeowners and real estate agents pertaining to smoke detectors per 527 CMR***
Notice to installers of residential smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors:
- Plans showing the locations of all devices must be submitted when applying for installation permits. Walk-in hours are Tuesdays and Thursday from 1-3 pm ONLY.
- Permits must be issued prior to commencement of work in accordance with Massachusetts General Laws. Failure to do so can result in a fine.
***If you are late or miss your smoke detector appointment you will be responsible for rescheduling for another day, as well as the paying the fee for the missed appointment and the new appointment.***
527 CMR 1.00: MASSACHUSETTS COMPREHENSIVE FIRE SAFETY CODE (pg. 123 of PDF - 13.7.2 Smoke Detection)
Rules and Regulations for Fire Protective Systems
City of Newton Ordinances - Fire Protection and Prevention
- Building plan reviews are for Building Card issuance only. All properties having any fire alarm installation, modification, updating must apply for a fire alarm permit prior to any work commencing. Failure to do so may result in fines and delays of building card sign-off by the fire department.
- Process for Submitting Commercial Plan Reviews
Home Fire Sprinkler Information
Alarm & Sprinkler Technicians
Procedure for new alarm companies and technicians:
- New fire alarm companies and/or sprinkler companies must have the license holder fill out a Fire Alarm Company Application and have at least 3 technicians (one of which may be the license holder).
- Technicians must fill out a Fire Alarm Individual Technician Application.
- Technicians interested in working in Newton must attend an information meeting (approximately 40-60 minutes) with Fire Prevention, who will inform individuals of the class date and time once scheduled.
Companies currently approved to work in the city who wish to add technicians to the approved list must have the individual fill out the Fire Alarm Individual Technician Application and attend the information meeting.
Applications are to be faxed to