Home Emergency Escape Plan
- For a home or apartment, you should have at the very least, one smoke detector on each floor.
- Every home and apartment should have an escape plan.
- This is a plan that is drawn up, reviewed and actually practiced by each member of a given household.
- Every room should have two routes to safety; first would be a door, second would either be a door in an opposing direction or a window.
- If you live in a high rise building, never use the elevator; always use the stairs.
- There should be an agreed upon area for all members to meet to be sure that all people are out safely.
- If a member is missing, advise a Public Safety Officer immediately. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO RE-ENTER A BURNING HOUSE!
- As you leave the building, try to shut doors and windows behind you to hinder the advance of flames.
- If you must exit through smoke, stay low to the floor. You should crawl on your hands and knees.