City Census

January of every calendar year the City Clerk's Office mails the annual city census to all residential households as required by Massachusetts General Law Chapter 51 Section 4. Responding to the Annual Census keeps your voting status active.  Even if you are not a registered voter, responding to the census will ensure that the City Clerk’s Office can provide you with proof of residency.  An accurate count of residents in Newton assists in providing better municipal services.

Please return your census within ten (10) days of receipt either by mail, in person (postage is required if returning by mail),

or if there are no changes click here to respond online!



Can I Tell if I Am Registered to Vote Using the Census?

If a capital letter is shown under the "Party" column next to your name than you are currently registered to vote.

If you are unsure of what that letter means please feel free to click here and you will be directed to the Secretary of the Commonwealths website.

There is No Letter Next to My Name, How Can I Register to Vote?

First, it is important to know that you cannot register to vote using the annual census form.

If you wish to register to vote you can do so in person at the City Clerk's Office, online by clicking here, at the Registry of Motor Vehicles or by mailing in a Voter Registration Card to the Newton City Clerk's Office.

There is a party designation next to my name can I change it?

Yes, if you are already registered to vote, you can change your party by crossing out the letter next to your name and writing the letter of what party you would like to be in under it. Please remember that any registered voters who make a change through the census must sign the census in order for that change to be made.

I have my census and everything is accurate...

If there are no changes needed to be made, please sign and date your form on the line provided at the bottom of the form and return in the enclosed envelope or click here to respond online.

The address listed on the census is incorrect, can I change it?

If the entire household has moved within or outside of Newton, clearly write the new address in the space provided. Please note that residents within the household who are registered voters must provide their original signature to process any changes, including a new address.

If an individual resident has moved they can change their address via the census but REMEMBER, they must provide their original signature on one of the provided lines. They can also send a signed letter to the City Clerk's Office stating that they moved.

I cannot find my census, how do I get another?

If you did not receive a pre-printed census form or cannot find it, please click here.

For more information please contact the City Clerk's Office at (617)796-1200 or by e-mail at

back to top