Newton, MA Logo for print

    Utilities (Water & Sewer)

    Mailing Address Billing Office Hours Department Contact
    Water/Sewer, Department of Public Works
    Newton City Hall
    617-796-1040 (billing)
    617-796-1640 (service)
    617-796-1052  Fax

    Hydrant Flushing Information

    Monday- Friday, 8:30am-5pm
    Tuesday, 8:30am-8pm

    After-Hours Emergencies (occurring between 3pm and 7am) please call the Police Department at (617) 796-2100. The Police Department will dispatch the call to the appropriate party. 

    Ted Jerdee
    Director of Utilities

    Utilities Superintendent

    Water-Sewer Infrastructure Strategic Improvement Plan

    Apply For A Second/Additional Water Meter 
    “We Are Currently Updating The Second Meter Process And Are Not Accepting New Applications At This Time ”


    • The Utilities Division at (617) 796-1640 will respond to requests for maintenance, frozen/burst meters, dirty water, malfunctioning encoders, meter reads etc. and will also clear sewer stoppages.
    • Billing (617) 796-1040
    • Back Flow Prevention Testing (617) 796-1640
    • Water and Sewer connection maintenance (617) 796-1640

    Click Here for Water Applications:

    Sewer Service Applications 
    Water Service Application 
    Terms and Conditions 
    Flow Test Application
    Hydrant Meter Application
    Water Meter Testing Application


    Water Bills

    If you think your bill is not correct, read your meter before calling the Business Office of the Utilities Division. The people who will help you will ask for the meter reading and, by having this read the first time you call, you will save yourself a second call back.

    If you receive more than two estimates in a row, please contact the business office to find out why. Either the outside encoder or the meter may need servicing.

    The water meter is usually located in your basement. It has a brass bottom and a plastic cap. To read the dial, which resembles the odometer on a car, look down into the plastic cap. Next, compare this reading to the one on your bill next to the most current date. If your reading is equal to or greater than the read for which you were billed, then the bill is correct because the water passed through the meter. At this point, if your bill showed consumption higher than your quarterly average, you may consider checking for a toilet leak by putting a few drops of food coloring in the toilet tank. If, after 15 minutes, some of the coloring seeps into the toilet bowl, there is a leak, which should be repaired. It's a good idea to let the Water/Sewer Division know about a leak; so that, if it is necessary to estimate one of your future bills, the billing clerk can make an adjustment for this higher than normal usage.

    To call the Business Office of the Utilities division, dial (617) 796-1040 between 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Mon, Wed, Thurs, Fri. The Office is open until 8:00 p.m. on Tuesday.

    Elderly Discount

    Under current City of Newton ordinances, citizens over 65, own the property as a primary residence, and have an income of less than $60,000.00 annually . A resident must reapply for a Water/Sewer discount by July 1 of each calendar year in order to receive a deduction of 30 percent on water and sewer bills from July 1 to June 30 of those years.

    If you are already receiving the discount, the Utilities Division will mail the application form to you. Please complete it and return the form to the Board of Assessors for processing.

    If the certification form is not received, eligibility for the discount will be removed from the Utilities Division's database. If this happens, you will receive an undiscounted bill until your certification form is received and processed by the Board of Assessors. At that time, your account will be updated to receive a discount on all subsequent bills through June 30.

    No adjustment will be made on a bill not discounted due to failure to reapply before the June 30 deadline.

    If you have any questions pertaining to the discount qualification process, please call the Board of Assessors at (617) 796-1160.

    Any questions regarding a water/sewer bill should be addressed to the Utilities Division's Business Office at (617) 796-1040.

    Replacement / New Connections to the City Water / Sewer System

    All work on water pipes must be done by the City's Utilities Division. Sewer connections may be done by the City or by a private contractor, who must apply for a license with the Utilities Division at City Hall. To arrange for this work, you may come into the office, or call, for an application, which must be filled out and signed by the property owner. An estimate for the work will be mailed to you. If you decided to proceed, you must first pay the estimate and then contact the Utilities Maintenance Office to arrange for the work at (617) 796-1640.

    Once the work is complete, the actual costs will be entered into the City's billing system. You will either be additionally billed or given a refund, dependent on the difference between the estimate and the actual costs.

    Maintenance of Existing Water or Sewer House Connections

    The Utilities Division at (617) 796-1640 will respond to requests for maintenance, frozen/burst meters, dirty water, malfunctioning encoders, etc. and will also clear sewer stoppages. Depending upon the service provided, there may be a fee.

    Backflow Prevention Testing

    The Utilities Division has two certified Backflow Prevention Device testers who regularly perform tests or conduct inspections on cross connections in order to enforce the regulations of the Department of Environmental Protection. There is a standard fee of $90 for each test.

    Final Water/Sewer Bill Statements

    If you are selling your house, the Business Office of the Utilities Division will prepare a final statement, which will indicate the costs associated with the consumption between the last time your meter was read and the meter reading which you call into the Business Office.

    To get this statement, you must read your meter, have the new owners name, and call the Business Office at (617) 796-1040. The statements must be signed by the person picking them up. They cannot be faxed or provided verbally over the phone. This interim statement is ready the next day after 12:00 noon, statements may be picked up at the Business Office of the Utilities Division, City Hall, from 8:30-5:00 pm. Tues. evenings until 8:00 pm. An interim reading is calculated to determine what additional charge (or credit) would apply due to water usage between the most recent bill and the reading date that either the broker or seller calls in. The City expects that buyers and sellers will take all necessary steps to make adjustments for this water usage at the time of closing. We will not prepare an interim statement when there is a credit of more than $200 on the account due to multiple estimates until the equipment is repaired and an actual read is able to be obtained by our repair technician. The Water/Sewer Billing Office puts notices on the bill after two consecutive estimates that are bolded and appear in the middle of your bill, requesting the customer to call service to have this issue addressed. We suggest that money be put in escrow until the equipment is repaired and an actual read has been reported to the Water and Sewer Division of the Public Works Department.

    Water Usage in Newton

    The Utilities Division of the Department of Public Works provides water to 24,766 customers, 23,790 wastewater customers, and serves a population of approximately 84,000 people. Average usage is 10.4 million gallons per day, with a maximum capacity of 13.5 million gallons per day.