- Residents will place their normal household trash in the blue 64-gallon cart on their regularly scheduled trash collection day. All trash must be placed in the container or will not be collected. Trash outside the cart WILL NOT BE COLLECTED. Extra trash?
- Residents will place ALL their recyclables all together in the green 64-gallon cart.
- Place carts curbside (handles facing house) and away from trees, poles, etc. with the lids closed by 7am on your collection day. Collections are delayed one day after a holiday, unless the holiday falls on a weekend.
- Yard waste collections occur weekly on your collection day mid-April through early-December.
- Bulky items (material that is too large to fit into the cart) require a special pick up and a request must be scheduled by 3:30 pm the business day BEFORE your collection day. Click here to make a request.
- Appliances and Electronics also require a special pick up, please click here to schedule
- Construction and Demolition (C&D) Materials are not considered household trash and are not collected as part of the curbside program, please see our C&D Recycling and Reuse Guide for more information.
- The carts provided belong to the City of Newton and will be repaired or replaced if the damage is from the contractor or is normal wear and tear. Please call City Hall Customer Service at 311 or 617.796.1000 from a cell phone if your cart needs a repair. If the cart is damaged as a result of neglect or abuse, or if the cart is missing, the resident will be responsible for replacement. Serial numbers are printed on each cart and identified as being assigned to that residence.
Smaller, easier to manage 35 gallons carts are available to residents who produce less trash and recyclables. Please contact customer service at 617-796-1000.