Home Composting Bins
The City now offers two styles of compost bins, plus kitchen scrap collection buckets.
To purchase a bin, Newton residents can come by City Hall during open hours. (We accept cash and personal checks only.) Once purchased, you will be given a slip and the bin can be picked up at the Rumford Ave Resource Recovery Facility.
BRAVE NEW COMPOSTER, $53, plus tax
Features and Benefits
- Unique dual cone design virtually eliminates need for constant turning
- Patented cone shaped top retains heat & moisture
- Bottom cone draws air into the center to increase aerobic activity
- Air holes are less than 1/2" in diameter - holes let in oxygen but helps deters larger critters
- Bottom cone secures firmly to the ground and the adjacent bin wall with galvanized steel pins
- Assembles in 10 min without tools
- Durable and weather resistant
- Color: BLACK
- 24 cu.ft capacity
- 30" high, variable diameter
- Made in the USA
- Recycle plastic jugs by using them as stuffing support for bottom cone
EARTH MACHINE, $40, plus tax
Features and Benefits
- Easy access through large lid opening, no corners for materials to get stuck in
- Rodent Resistant - "Twist Pegs" secure bin to ground, twist locking lid
- Designed to allow adequate ventilation throughout the unit, which promotes aerobic decompostion or organic materials
- Ease of assembly - snaps together in seconds, no tools required
- Recycled content - made with a minimum 50% post-consumer recycled materials.
- Durable - Made with tough high-density polyethene with UV stabilizers for all season strength and weatherability. 10-year warranty against cracking, deterioration, warping, or any other defect that would diminish the effectiveness of appearance of the compost bin
- 10.5 cubic foot capacity
- Dimensions when assembled: 33" d x 33" h
- See a video of how to use the bin here
| Kitchen Scrap Bucket, $7.75, plus tax |
- 70 degree throw back stays open while emptying and snap latch lid keeps closed when not in use
- 360 degree double rim closure
- Dishwasher safe
- Strong, ergonomically designed handle for easy carrying and emptying
- Wide bottom grip facilitates emptying
- BPA free
- 1.9 gallon capacity, 12" x 8.5" x 8.5"
Compost Available FREE to residents
From approximately mid April - October each year, small quantities of screened (3/4" minus) compost are available to Newton residents at the Recycling Depot at Rumford Ave, free of charge. Residents can fill small buckets, containers, etc. for their own use on their own properties for small projects.
No businesses or commercial trucks allowed. Compost will be available on a first come, first serve basis and there may be limited availability depending on the current status of the compost finishing process.
If you are a commercial landscaper or a resident looking to acquire more than 3 cubic yards of compost, please call Customer Service at 617.796.1000. Thank you.