Provide oversight of all financial activities of the City for purposes of:
- Assuring financial transactions are undertaken in accordance with federal, state, and local law, regulation, contract, and policy; and that City assets are protected from misuse or misappropriation.
- Assuring that financial transactions are properly documented and approved.
- Assuring that financial transactions are properly recorded in the City's accounting system
Prepare and distribute accurate and timely financial reports from data maintained in the accounting system in order to meet reporting needs of:
- The Mayor, City Council, and School Committee;
- City departments;
- Boards and committees;
- State & federal grant and oversight agencies;
- Trustees of City trust funds;
- Independent financial auditors;
- Financial Markets, citizens & taxpayers.
- Serve as one of the five trustees of the City’s contributory retirement system
- Administer the City' property insurance program
- Assist the Mayor's Office in the preparation of the annual budget
- Assist the City Council in the analysis and approval of the annual budget
- Coordinate the completion of the annual independent financial audit Provide financial research and analysis assistance to the City Council, as requested