Any Business undertaking a Closing-Out or Going-Out-of-Business Sale in Newton must complete the following steps as laid out in Chapter 93 of Massachusetts General Law, and deliver the required material listed below to the Newton City Clerk’s Office at least three days before the start of the sale.
- The business owner must provide the City Clerk with a complete and detailed inventory, signed by the owner under the penalties of perjury, which inventory shall include:
- A list of all items to be included in such sale which shall consist of only the goods, wares and merchandise actually in the place of business wherein or whereat such sale is to be conducted, at the opening of such sale, describing same by name or kind and the quantity of each thereof, and
- Whether or not previously listed, a listing separately in the same manner of any goods, wares and merchandise to be included in such sale which had been purchased during a sixty day period immediately prior to the filing of the inventory.
- The fee to file this inventory is $1.00 per page payable by check to the City of Newton.
- A good and sufficient bond, payable to the City of Newton, in the penal sum of one thousand dollars, with sureties approved by the Mayor of Newton.
For a complete packet of Information, please view the Closing Out Sale Instructions.