Newton, MA Logo for print

Marriage Licenses


Obtaining A Marriage License
In Massachusetts one of the most important steps in planning a wedding – whether a religious or secular ceremony – is obtaining a marriage license. If the wedding is to be performed in Massachusetts, the couple can obtain a license from any City or Town Clerk in Massachusetts.

Newton City Clerk Application Hours
Monday - Friday:
8:30am to 5:00 pm.
Tuesdays: 8:30am to 8:00 pm

Please arrive at least 1 hour before the office closes to allow enough time to complete the forms.

What do I Do to Obtain a Marriage License?

To obtain a marriage license you must be at least eighteen years old. The couple must go together to the Office of the City Clerk.  The Marriage Intention must be completed by the couple in person in the Office of the City Clerk.  Marriage Intention forms cannot be mailed or taken out of the office.  The filing fee is $35.00 and can be paid at City Hall with cash or check.  The couple should consider the date and place of the wedding, the name of the officiant and the name that each party will use after the wedding.  Either one of the couple (or someone known to them) can pick up the Marriage License on the fourth day after the filing of the Intention

Note:  As of January 28, 2005 blood tests are no longer required for the issuance of a marriage license.

Important Dates to Remember
You cannot receive your Marriage License until the fourth day after filing the Intention, unless a court order is obtained. The wedding ceremony must be performed within 60 days of the date of filing the Marriage Intention

What Do I Do with the License?
Bring the original license to the officiant of the wedding.  To register the marriage, the officiant (a member of the clergy or Justice of the Peace who is commissioned in Massachusetts who presides over the ceremony) must sign the license in black ink and return it directly to the City Clerk or Town Clerk that issued the license.

After the Wedding; Obtaining a Marriage Certificate - How Do I Get a Copy of my License?
The officiant will sign and return the original marriage license to the City Clerk or Town Clerk that issued the license. Once the license is received in the Office of the City Clerk or Town Clerk, the couple can obtain a Marriage Certificate. If either party changes his or her name following the wedding an original Marriage Certificate will have to be obtained by the couple for Social Security. At least one other original Marriage Certificate should be obtained for the couple's records.

A Marriage Certificate can only be obtained from the City Clerk or Town Clerk that issued the license even if the ceremony was performed in another community or the couple moves.

Click Here For Printable Certified Copy Form (PDF)

A certified copy can also be obtained from the Registry of Vital Records and Statistics at:
Registry of Vital Records and Statistics
150 Mt. Vernon Street
First Floor
Dorchester, MA  02125-2714

For more information on the Registry of Vital Records please visit the state’s website at:

If the officiant for your wedding is from another state, or is not with the clergy or a Justice of the Peace, he or she must apply for and receive a one-day commission before the marriage takes place.  The Commission must be obtained from:
Secretary of State, Commissions Division
McCormack Building 17th floor
1 Ashburton Place
Boston, MA  02108

Information and the appropriate forms can be found on-line at

For more information please call the Clerk's Office at (617) 796-1200.